Tēnā koutou katoa St Michael’s Catholic School Community,

Mā te Atua me te wāhi ngaro tātou e tiaki e manaaki
May God and the origins of which all things come from, bless and keep us

I hope you all had a restful long weekend with your families. Our five second year student teachers leave our school tomorrow. I wish them luck in their studies. Next week I will be attending the New Zealand Catholic Primary Principals Association Conference in Wellington from Wednesday 16 June to Friday 18 June 2021. Catherine and Georgina will be sharing the responsibility while I am away.

Alert Level 1 – Stay at Home if Sick

There have been a number of students coming to school unwell.  Please if your child is sick keep them at home in order to protect other students from getting sick. This will also help with the spread of COVID-19.

The Messy Kitchen

There will be no lunches next Wednesday 16 June and Thursday 17 June (Week 7) so please ensure your child has their usual packed lunch. The Messy Kitchen will resume back in Week 8 as per normal.

Request for help with Year 5/6 soccer reffing please

When the Year 5/6 soccer sports exchange teams go offsite to play games, we require a ref. If you or a family member are capable and available on Tuesday’s from 1.30pm – 2.30pm on the following dates, we would highly appreciate some help: 15 June, 22 June, 29 June, 6 July and in Term 3 – 27 July, 3 August and 10 August. Please email g.vanschaijik@smcs.school.nz if you can help or have  a contact who can. Thank you

Teachers Paid Union Meetings

On Thursday 24 June (Week 8), teaching staff who are NZEI members will be attending paid union meetings as part of the Primary Teachers Collective Agreement with some attending in the morning and others in the afternoon. The purpose of these meetings is for teachers to discuss the priorities for the renegotiation of their collective agreement in 2022. Issues being discussed, such as school staffing levels, directly impact on the education of your children. These meetings are a critical component of the negotiation process and it is the legal right of all members to attend a meeting and have their say. While there will be some impact on the usual school programme that day, we have adjusted the programme to minimise disruption, and the school will remain open. However we are encouraging children to be collected by 12.30pm. All children who remain at school will be supervised in the Hall. If your child requires supervision, please email Genevieve at secretary@smcs.school.nz Thank you in advance for your support.

SMCS Policies – This Term we are reviewing Reporting to Parents

1. Go to www.schooldocs.co.nz
  2. Click Search for your school.
  3. Start typing the school name and then select from the dropdown list.
  4. Enter the community username and password:

Username: smcs
Password: mackillop

Instructions for reviewers
Read the Reporting to Parents Policy.

1. Click the red Policy Review icon at the right-hand top corner of the page. A new screen will appear.
  2. Select your role (board member, staff member, or parent/caregiver) from the drop-down list.
  3. Enter your name (optional).
  4. Submit your ratings and comment

Encountering CHRIST

St Michael’s Parish Website – Sunday Mass Times (including the vigil): Saturdays 5pm; Sundays 8am, 10am, and 8:30pm

School Masses – 17/06/21 – Rooms 2 & 8; 24/06/21 – Rooms 1 & 9; 01/07/21 – Rooms 5 & 6; 08/07/21 – Rooms 3 & 10.

Day of Prayer for Migrants and Refugees – Sunday 20 June

Sunday 20th June this year has been named by the Catholic Church in New Zealand as a Day of Prayer for Migrants and Refugees.  It is fitting therefore on that day to hold a concert to raise funds for the people of India where the Coronavirus has caused such devastation.  The concert will be presented at St Joseph’s Catholic Church, 118 Church St. Otahuhu at 2pm, by the Otahuhu Catholic parish and school communities.

Prayer to the Most Sacred Heart Of Jesus

“O most holy heart of Jesus, fountain of every blessing, I adore you, I love you, and with lively sorrow for my sins I offer you this poor heart of mine. Make me humble, patient, pure and wholly obedient to your will. Grant, Good Jesus, that I may live in you and for you. Protect me in the midst of danger. Comfort me in my afflictions. Give me health of body, assistance in my temporal needs, your blessing on all that I do, and the grace of a holy death. Amen.”

Manaaki ki te Atua,
Ann McKeown
Principal

Student Voice

Prayer written in Religious Education

God our Father
Guide me through tough times I can’t control.
God, love me whenever I don’t feel connected to life.
Fill my heart with peace, love and encouragement.
Bless me when I am sick and heal me with your power.
God, help me to think of others and not just myself. 
Amen 

By: Darcy Hale

Winter Contributions for the Monte Cecilia Housing Trust please

The Year 6 Outreach Leaders have been in contact with the Monte Cecilia Housing Trust whose motto is “building brighter futures”! For winter, one of the contributions needed most is socks for life.

Please donate NEW pairs of socks for children in need throughout Aotearoa New Zealand. Please put donations into the basket in Room 8 before the end of Term 2.

Additionally, the Monte Cecilia Housing Trust would appreciate donations of warm blankets. These need to be clean and either new or of excellent used condition please. These can be left on the brown shelves outside the office or dropped into Room 8 alongside the socks basket. Thank you.

Monte Cecilia Housing trust (Click to view)

PTA News

Pizza Friday

Room 8 is on Pizza duty this week. Thank you Room 8 Parents!

We would like to thank everyone for your patience as we review the pizza/ice block process. Could you please make sure that your children have the correct change, if possible.

Confirming with them in the morning how many slices they are going to order would also be very helpful – to ensure that # of slices ordered early in the day is as close as possible to those picked up at lunchtime!

Pizza slices are $2 each. Please note ice blocks are back to $2 each as we now have the larger ice blocks back in stock.

School Uniform shop

The next date for the school uniform shop opening is 6th August. 

As this is a little while away, if you find that you need anything before then please contact Sabrina via the PTA email ptasmcs@gmail.com

HELP NEEDED PLEASE!!

Sabrina has also asked whether anybody may be available to help in the shop on the days that it’s open please? Please contact her on the PTA email address as above if you would be available to help, Thank you.

Girls Night Out at the Movies

We are probably going to run this event in Term 3 as there’s not a great choice of movies coming up in the next few weeks, so more details to follow nearer the time.

Yummy fruit sticker collecting

Keep collecting those stickers to earn fun sports equipment rewards for the school. Each sticker is with 1 point and each bag tag is worth 10 points.

Please place completed sheets into the PTA box (outside the PTA cupboard in the senior school) or give them directly to Mrs Barrington.  Last year SMCS collected close to 6000 points, which equated to over $700 of playground and sports gear.

Link to the collection sheet- Yummy Sticker Collection Sheet (click to view and print)

1 2 3 4 5 6 You’re on your way to some cool sports gear. 7 8 9 10 11 12 Ask friends and family to help you collect stickers. 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20. Website: www.yummyfruit.co.nz

PTA meeting

The next PTA Meeting will be held on 21 June 2021, 7pm – Staff Room. We are always happy to welcome new input and new ideas, so don’t be shy! We’d love to see you there.

Ree and Sarah (PTA Co-Chairs)

Notices

Noel Leeming Friends and Family Promotion

Noel Leeming is delighted to support the NZ Catholic Education Office (NZCEO) with our Friends and Family Promotion from Monday June 14 – Sunday June 27, 2021.

Noel Leeming Friends and Family Flyer (Click to view and print)

This offer is open to all St Michael’s Catholic School staff, parents, students, and their wider network of friends & family.

To take advantage of this special offer, people can visit one of our Noel Leeming Stores located across the country and simply show the event flyer on their smartphone (or in printed form) to unlock amazing deals.