Tēnā koutou katoa St Michael’s Catholic School Community,
“Kia ngangahau, kia whakawhānuitia te Rongopai a te Karaiti’
To live and proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ
We farewelled our Year 6 Leaders yesterday to attend camp. It seems they are having an amazing time. Over the holidays we had the Hall interior painted and on the lower parts of the walls colourful autex was placed (see picture below). Last year the student councillors chose the colours of the autex.
COVID – 19
A large number of schools in Auckland have had positive cases in their school. We will notify the whole school if we have a positive case. School will remain open for all classes except those who are identified as a close contact. If you have a member of your household being tested for COVID please keep your children at home until you have the results.
Congratulations to the Deevy Family on the birth of your baby boy born this week. Also a belated congratulations to the Barnes Family on the birth of your baby boy. May God bless your families and keep you all safe.
Health and Safety Reminders
- No Parents on Site during school hours – Please email the office if you need to pick up your child early).
- If you have a member of your household being tested for COVID please keep your children at home until you have the results.
- If a child is sick they need to stay at home.
- Year 4 up to wear masks
- Washing/sanitising hands regularly (contactless sanitiser dispensers are in every room)
School Lunches 2022
The details for ordering school lunches can be found on our website https://www.smcs.school.nz/lunch-orders/
Maths – No Problem! Programme
The Maths – No Problem! programme consists of structured maths lessons, takes a research based approach, year level teaching and fosters peer to peer learning and collaboration. This successful programme is from Singapore and used worldwide. The programme is designed to be taught in year levels. And a number of our classes have combined year groups (Year Twos from Room 6 and Room 3 and the Year Fives and Sixes from Rooms 8 and 9).
The table below gives an outline of how each Maths lesson is compiled, each lesson is designed to take 60 minutes, taught in year levels.
The Maths No Problem – Learning At Home link will provide you with further information on the Maths – No Problem! programme.
This programme is new to the teachers and they have ongoing Professional Development booked for this year along with an external facilitator visiting our classes.
St Michael’s Parish Website – Mass times – under New Zealand’s Covid Protection Framework (‘traffic light system’) for Covid-19, we have Mass times for Parishioners with or without a My Vaccine Pass. Effective 23 January 2022 ; RED under the traffic light system.
NZ Catholic free digital issue 13 – 26 Feb. (click to view)
Some headlines for this issue: Sixteen men from Vietnam hope to be priests in NZ. Catholic abuse stats in NZ revealed. Social housing project in Christchurch. Leading Tauranga layman farewelled.
Prayer for the Day
“Dear God, how honoured we are to be created in your image, and in this, we are set apart from the rest of creation. You have made us to be like You from the beginning. We live life to the fullest, whether in the world or at home when we imitate You. We receive Your grace to do all things that show forth your glory. Help us to live this day so that Your image may be visible through us. In Jesus’ name, we pray. Amen”
(Red Deer Catholic Regional School).
Manaaki ki te Atua,
We had our first PTA meeting this week and we’re really hoping that we’ll be able to run more School community events later this year if things settle.
It was really great to see some new faces, so please feel free to come along to the next meeting, we’d love to have your input.
Last Friday, 11th February, your child should have come home with a copy of the latest Scholastic Lucky Book Club brochure. It’s a new year, and a GREAT time for students to kick-start their reading habits and routines!
There are many benefits of Book Club, including:
- Carefully curated with age appropriate titles.
- Value for money–children can take home a book from as little as $3.
- Quality publishing–access to the best in children’s publishing from bestselling authors and illustrators.
- Rewards that go back to the school to buy more books and educational resources!
Ordering from the brochures is easy, it is all done online via LOOP (the Linked Online Ordering and Payment platform for parents). There are two ways you can order online:
- Visit mybookclub.scholastic.co.nz to set up your account and order through the website.
- Download the LOOP App (this is a different LOOP from the Skool LOOP App!) and follow the prompts.
It can be a bit daunting setting it all up for the first time, so here is an easy to follow guide how to do it: – Parents Guide to setting up LOOP (click to view)
Each year remember to log on to your account and update your Child/Children’s Year Level and Classroom to ensure that ordered books will be delivered to the correct place!
Orders close two weeks after the brochures come out – Issue 1 orders must be completed online by Friday, February 25th. Books are delivered to the school the week after orders close, and will be handed out to your children in their classrooms once they have been sorted.
Please do not hand in any orders or money to the Office, all orders must be placed online via the website, or through the LOOP App.
Our School benefits hugely from your Book Club orders. Rewards points are earned through our spend, and these points are gifted back to the Teachers and Library at St Michaels School throughout the Year.
Any questions please feel free to contact our Book Club Team on [email protected].
Pizza Fridays and My Kindo app.
- THERE WILL BE NO PIZZA AGAIN THIS FRIDAY 18th Feb!!
- Pizza will restart 25th Feb but………
- Effective immediately we are changing how we manage pizza orders!
We are excited to let you know that you can now order sushi, pizza and ice block lunches online, support fundraisers and in the future purchase second hand uniforms easily with our Kindo PTA Shop.
It’s easy, convenient, and open 24/7.
Setting up an account
- Creating an account is easy!
New Users can click here and select the Create an Account option. Simply follow the prompts and in three easy steps you are ready to go!
If you already have an ezlunch or myKindo account, you can simply log in.
There are a number of ways you can choose to top-up your account, and this can be done at the checkout, or by selecting the ‘top up account’ icon.
- POLi No fees. Instant transfer. **RECOMMENDED**
- Credit/Debit Card 50 cent charge + 2.5% fee. Instant transfer. Visa / MasterCard / American Express and China UnionPay available.
- Bank Transfer No fees. Allow 2 days for processing.
- Order for just one day or use the calendar icon to order the same item for multiple days.
- Once you have made all your purchases click on the Checkout option to complete your transaction.
- If you have sufficient funds, then simply click Place Order at the checkout and you’re done!
- If you have insufficient funds, you will be required to top up your account first.
- Your order will automatically go through to Sushi Eden or the PTA, and you will receive an email receipt confirming your top-up and/or purchase!
myKindo app is also available to download for both android and iPhone.
- Our Kindo helpdesk is open 8am to 4pm weekdays.
- Freephone: 0508 4 KINDO (0508 454 636)
- Email: [email protected]
- Online support: support.mykindo.co.nz
We’d like to say a big ‘Thank you’ to all of the families who munched their way through hundreds of pieces of fruit last year to contribute to the yummy sticker collection which has actually translated to over $700 worth of sports equipment that been gratefully received by the classrooms and that the children are able to use at morning tea and lunchtimes.
Please start collecting again now as we will be sending in completed sticker sheets during terms 2 and 3 for this year. https://www.yummyfruit.co.nz/schools/
Completed sheets should be given to Mrs Barrington or placed in the PTA post box outside Mrs McKeown’s office. Thank you.
School Uniform Shop
The next 2nd hand School uniform shop opening day is 4th March.
If you have any stock enquiries, Sabrina will be going into school each Friday morning so please email her via [email protected] earlier in the week and she can look for stock when she is there.
The Elizabeth Michael Uniform shop in Kingsland is open if you need anything more urgently.
Next PTA meeting
Next PTA meeting date 15th March at 7pm.
Take care all
Ree, Sarah and the PTA
SMCS Soccer 2022 Information
Football at St Michael’s 2022 (click to view/print)
BARADENE COLLEGE – OPEN DAY TOURS – Thursday 3 March 2022
BOOKINGS REQUIRED (opening 9.00am Monday 21 Feb)
- Tour times: 9.00am, 10.00am, 11.00am, 12.30pm
- Book at www.baradene.school.nz/enrol
- Book your time by 3.00pm 1 March
Enrolments for Year 7, 2023 and for limited places in other Year levels are being accepted now and will close on Friday 18 March, 2022.